Sunday, December 21, 2008

A wonderful man

My "Papa" (my dad's stepdad) passed away last Wednesday. It was unexpected and, as events like this often do, has put things in perspective. He was a wonderful man - I always remember thinking that he was like Popeye or Mr. Clean because he was so strong. He lived in Virginia, so we didn't get to see him very often growing up; but I remember every time we left at the end of a visit, he'd come out to our minivan and shake the whole car with all of us in it. Us kids thought it was amazing, but he always had a tear in his eye as he said goodbye. He was quiet, but always serving others.

I wasn't able to go to his funeral because of the cost, Christmas travel, pregnancy, etc., but I truly wish I could've been there to honor such a wonderful man. It has reminded me how important it is to make an effort to see and visit with those we love while we have the time. I wish that I'd taken Darek out to Virginia to meet him, but I just didn't do it. It has reminded me to take the time to be there for the people I love.