Thursday, December 4, 2008

More Space

There are several reasons why I haven't been able to get on the computer lately and it all started with trying to get our basement finished before Thanksgiving - we were expecting Blayne's parents and two siblings along with my parents and three siblings. Holy cow.

First of all, we owe a huge shout out to our hero, Jay Anderson. He contracted out just about everything for us: framing, electric, sheet rock (hanging, texturing and taping), plumbing, trim, etc. Then he spent a lot of his own time making sure things got done and even primed the entire basement.

The week before Thanksgiving, it was time to paint and it needed to be done before the carpet could be laid. It just so happened that painting was the one thing I had said I would do myself. Not only was it my responsibility to get it done, but Blayne happened to be TONS busier with work because of the upcoming holiday and our trip to CA earlier in the month. So at 7 months pregnant, I undertook to paint the approximately 800 sq. ft. basement by myself.

I had 3 days to get it done and had to do it all while Darek slept. I was up until 12:30 am those nights trying to get it all done. My friend Brooke saved me a couple days in a row by letting Darek play at her house while I painted like a madwoman.

It was crazy, but it was so so so so worth it. The winters in Idaho are harsh and long, so we are very grateful to have extra space for Darek to run around. We were able to fit everyone in our house at Thanksgiving and, while Idaho is not a hot vacation spot, if anyone wants to come visit we have space!




This is the main room. There's also a playroom and a bedroom.

The bathroom.
This is Darek's favorite part of the basement. It's the area underneath the stairs. The previous owners had framed out the kid-size door and window and Darek absolutely loves that he can open the door himself and hideout in there.