Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving










Like most married couples, Blayne and I have alternated Thanksgivings and Christmases between my family in Iowa and Blayne's family in California. After travelling for both holidays for 4 years, we decided that with our family growing, we would have to cut our travel down to Christmas only.

Since we weren't going to them, both of our families decided to come to us in Idaho. Let's be honest, having both families in a confined area can mean drama. But as it turned out, we had one of the best Thanksgivings ever (at least for Blayne and I did :). The holidays are definitely one of the times when more really is merrier.

Blayne's family arrived first (after a 13 hour drive), and we put them to work. They helped us hang blinds, hang bathroom fixtures, and clean, clean, clean. Blayne and Teri (my mother-in-law) were in their element with "to-do" lists and a crew to carry them out (me, Kenny, and Keri).

My family arrived the day before Thanksgiving (after a 17 hour drive). My mom took over cooking and cleaning and everyone looked after Darek - no wonder I enjoyed it so much, it was like having a staff on hand :). On Thanksgiving day, Blayne got to play in a ward football game for over 3 hours - his dream come true and later we all enjoyed an amazing Thanksgiving meal.

We watched movies, played games, talked and just had a wonderful time. By Saturday afternoon, everyone had left to go home and our house seemed so empty! I'm so thankful for my family (both immediate and in-laws) and for the support and love that they give us. Blayne and I could not have imagined a more wonderful Thanksgiving.