Monday, November 16, 2009

The News

Blayne - He's officially made the transition to working as an investment advisor and he is in hog heaven. This is what Blayne has wanted to do for years and the right opportunity presented itself a few months ago, so we made the leap. Last week he flew to San Francisco to meet with a company who works with investments in capital equipment (like ships, semi-trucks, etc.). Next week he'll go to New York City to meet with a company who works with Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs). He's got his own office here in town and he couldn't be happier.

Me - I took the GMAT (the test required to get into MBA programs) 2 months ago and did pretty well; although not as well as my stinky brother Joe. I'm not planning on starting school next fall, so here's a few reasons why I took the test:
1. I'm turning 30 next year and it was just one of those things on my list that I wanted to do before I'm "old."
2. I was feeling the need to do something outside of being Mom. I'm not good at crafts, sewing, decorating - things that I wish I could do - and I needed a little boost.
3. I really would love to get an MBA. The GMAT score is good for 5 years, so if we decide that it's time to go back to school, I'll be able to slip right in.

I didn't send in any applications but several really good schools, like BYU, Carnegie Mellon, Darden, Notre Dame, etc., asked me to apply to their programs which was an ego boost I needed.

Here are the reasons I'm not going (because truthfully, Blayne has been 100% supportive and left it up to me):
1. BYU is the closest school that I'd be interested in attending and it's 4 hours away. Blayne's work is in Idaho Falls, at least for now, and if I want him to be our family's provider then this is where we need to be.
2. MBA programs require at least the time committment of a full-time job. Truthfully, there are days that I daydream about being back in the excitement of a University, but I could not bring myself to leave my kids with someone else all day.

I learned a valuable lesson: there are things that we all dream about doing, but maybe those things seem too far-fetched to be possible - like getting an MBA (or any kind of education), starting our own business, writing a book, whatever it might be - but all you have to do is start taking steps in that direction. I bought a study book, studied when my kids slept, registered for the test, and took it. Simple as that. And something that had seemed so distant became a very real possibility. So take a step.